
There is speculation as to exactly when Chopin's birthday is. Some say it is February 22, and some say that it is today, March 1st. For all intents and purposes of this blog, I have decided to celebrate it today.
Born in Poland in 1810, Frederic Chopin rose to become one of the greatest and most well-known composers of all time. For quite a few years now, he has been my absolute favorite. I am partial to the music of the Romantic period, and his beautiful and wistful Nocturnes are to me the epitome of Romantic music. A large bust of Chopin sits atop of my piano and I like to think of him watching me as I play. Sometimes I imagine him looking down and cringing at my lack of proficiency.
Almost six years ago, I played 90 seconds of this Nocturne in Eb Major Op. 9 No. 2 by Chopin in my high school's Junior Miss program. I won the talent award as well as the title of 2nd Runner-up. I went on to learn the rest of the piece and perform it for my senior piano recital. To this day, it's still one of my favorites to play.
It is my dream to someday be able to play this famous piece by Chopin, Fantasie Imrpomptu in C minor Op. 66. I love love love this piece! We'll see if I ever reach that level. (So far I can only play the middle section.)
Happy Birthday to a musical master and genius!
I think I'll go play something on the piano now . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment