Sunday, June 13, 2010

Camping and Fishing


This past weekend my mom, Colter, Tom, and I went on a camping/fishing trip. This is something I missed out on last summer since I was in Washington, D.C., so I was really excited to go. I can't even remember the last time I went fishing and forgot how much fun it could be!



We went and camped at Warm River near Mesa Falls. The weather forecast predicted rain showers, but to our pleasant surprise it didn't rain at all! Aside from it being occasionally windy and a little chilly, the weather was great.


Tom is such a manly wood-chopper. :)


I woke up Saturday morning bright and early (5 a.m.!!!) and was ready to go. I couldn't believe that I felt that great so early in the morning, but it turned out to be a good thing that we were up early. We were down at the river before 7 a.m. so there weren't very many other people out fishing yet.


I was not too thrilled that my mom had the camera out right after we woke up.


Right off the bat we had great success at fishing. Within just a few hours I had hooked four fish! Two got away, but I am ok with that. (It makes me feel bad to kill them.) But we decided to keep the other two.


Tom also caught two fish that morning. We took them back to camp and Tom taught me how to gut a fish. When I was younger, I had always wanted to learn because I thought that it would impress the boys and prove that I wasn't a sissy girl. Well, I got my chance and it really wasn't that bad. I would much rather gut fish than rip the worms in half and put them on the fishing hook. Yuck, I hate that part. It's so gross, but Tom made me do it.



After we returned to camp and ate a delicious breakfast, we went back to the river for round two of fishing. It was pretty windy and there were more people out, so we didn't have as much luck this time. Tom caught a few little ones but threw them back in, and I didn't get so much as a nibble.
But Colter caught a fish later that afternoon and we were so excited for him! He would have been really disappointed if we had left without him having caught a fish.



We got to enjoy the fresh air, watch the sunset over the Falls, and eat amazing dutch oven food. It doesn't get any better than that! I can't remember the last time I was that happy. . . I just couldn't stop smiling! :)


After all the fun we returned home to much needed hot showers and inviting beds.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait until I get to go camping... but school is still in! I think I saw you at Devo last week or the week before!

    hope all is well with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fish cleaning video, kind of disgusting. I could smell it from here. That morning photo.... was Colter even awake yet? Very cute both of you. Looks like fun. I haven't camped in a long time. Think we'll go this summer.

    ReplyDelete